Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Renegade Scout (Prydians vs Maligs) at Cochise College Game Day

I played a game of Renegade Scout (by Nordic Weasel Games) a couple of weeks ago. It was the Ion Age's Prydian Retained Knights backed up by a Duxis battlesuit versus several squads of Ion Age Maligs and a squad of three "Warlord" space ogres. The fight took place in an urban environment. The Maligs spread out behind the walls and buildings on one side of the street (with the Warlords on the far left). The Prydian forces mostly came up the center, though the Duxis battlesuit swung wide right to try to engage the Warlords.


The game was scheduled for 6 turns, as per the suggestion for a meeting engagement pickup game. The first turn was spent getting into position, making use of the Sheltering rule to limit incoming fire.


I (playing the Maligs) was quite surprised to see the Duxis come tearing around the corner to start chopping at my Warlords. Although, I mean, I should have known. The thing is pretty fast, but I guess I wasn't paying attention. I probably should have taken my lumps and then backed off so that the other Warlords could start shooting, but instead I waded in with the other two Warlords and tried to bludgeon the armored vehicle with the butts of their rifles.


Being generally outgunned, I charged across the street, trying to get the Prydians into range of my combat knives. Steve, the fine gentleman I met that day, wasn't expecting this from goblins, but the way they were statted up, they were pretty powerful in close combat. Not that it mattered. Those that weren't cut down on the way there were met, not by superior close quarters combatants, but by Steve's preternatural ability to roll low all of the time. (Renegade Scout is a roll-under system.)

Off-screen to the right, a snarl of Maligs and Prydians
hack at each other with combat knives.
One of the last surviving groups of Maligs took to the balcony of this, er... "noodle shop" to try taking pot-shots at the Duxis as it fought with the Warlords. It takes discipline to be able to shoot into a close combat, and there's a risk of hitting your allies, but the Maligs did surprisingly well!


But it wasn't enough. The three Warlords had a decent chance of taking out the Duxis battlesuit in a few turns, but it was turn 6 already, and the Prydians had wiped out all of the other Maligs.


All in all, a fun, relatively quick game, reminiscent of old-school "Warhammer" in the vein of "Rogue Trader". The rules were easy to understand and there weren't a million modifiers for things. We made regular use of the "sheltering" rule to "hide" as we approached and it did indeed cut down on the amount of enemy fire we took. Despite getting murdered to death by Steve's endless supply of '1's, my Maligs never failed a morale roll, so good for them, I guess. :P It's possible that my side was under-powered, as I didn't have time to use the point-buy rules to generate armies, but it probably wasn't a significant difference, and I could see that I was just having unlucky die rolls. Regardless, a very fun time. I'll definitely have to play this one again.

For them what are interested, the game can be found HERE. It's a pretty chunky book for the money. My printed copy is like half an inch thick!

Also, here's a video of a solo game I played: Captain Redd vs. The Swarm!

- Jason "Ludanto" Smith C;E

2 comments:

  1. My biggest question is how do you do your terrain?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!
      Man, that is a question, right?
      There's a lot of stuff there.
      The cars are cheap plastic toys from the dollar store. The concrete walls (and that tan apartment building) are from White Dragon Miniatures. The ruined building is MDF from Impudent Mortal.
      The sci-fi buildings are "Advanced Buildings" from brigademodels.co.uk. The shanties and some of the crates are papercraft that I got from WargameVault, but I can't remember which product. :(
      The other buildings and most of the little terminals and things are items that I crafted out of plasticard and XPS foam and bits of plastic and beads and such.
      I can probably find more information if you have more specific questions.
      Thanks for stopping by! :D

      Delete