Saturday, January 23, 2021

Chrome Hammer: Ascension Beta (Severance Package)

 



Time for more testing!  Chrome Hammer: Ascension will feature "Boss Fights" with the CEO of the Corporations.

This test started with something familiar, the Human CEO (of a Pharma Corp) in a high-tech battle suit.  The goal is to take out the CEO, but in addition to the Juiced Stormtroopers patrolling the compound, the suit itself is formidable with a force field and particle cannon and such.

Luckily, the 'Punks can hack terminals around the compound to disable some features of the battle suit.  Here's how it turned out.

(This wasn't originally planned as a blog post, so it's not broken up into turns, and some of the details are skipped, but I think it's still pretty exciting.  Of course, I was there, so I'm biased.)

The corporate compound.  The CEO starts in the center.
The Stormtroopers are in three of four corners.

After a couple of turns, the Elf Hacker disables the Force Field.  The Revenant Shadow disables the Particle Cannon, but unfortunately finds himself injured and cornered!

I know he's already dead, but he's about to get "deader"!

Luckily, he's been pushed up against a door, and dives inside, making for the roof!  Three squads of Stormtroopers swarm the doorway.  There's no going back that way.  The Revenant jumps off the roof on the far side.

...head first.

And he manages to Frag himself.  SMH.

"SPLORTCH!"

The Ork Ronin for some reason thought he could take on a squad of Stormtroopers, and so revealed himself as he charged into an Assault.  He had a combat drone tagging along, but he had to sacrifice it to save himself from getting shot up during his failed Assault.  Now all of the enemies that had been chasing the Revenant were closing in on the Ork.  The Dwarf Mage did his best to hold them off with Confusion Spells, managing to cast it twice before wearing himself out.  The Ork still got hurt, though.  Luckily, Orks are pretty tough.

The Ork fell back, and the Elf stepped out, beginning what will turn out to be a rather impressive kill streak!

"Put THIS on your shelf, a**holes!"  BANG! BANG! BANG!

 The Elf then takes out a second squad, and the Troll Face softens up a third.  The Dwarf pops up to try to finish them off, but fails, leaving himself wide open.  Dummy.

"Maybe if I stand really still.
Stormtroopers only react to motion, right?"

Fortunately, the Stormtroopers are pretty hurt and choose to fall back, Defending themselves instead of attacking.  Unfortunately, the other Stormtroopers, on the platform, don't have the same problem, and they shoot the Dwarf aplenty.

GACK! "Tell my... (cough) gold that I... (cough) love it."

Miss Bad-Ass Elf Lady proceeds to finish off another squad of Stormtroopers in a bloody Assault!  The Ork and the Troll are doing their best, but it's not helping much.  And the CEO is coming up on them!  By now, though, the Elf and Troll have hacked the other two terminals, leaving the CEO vulnerable, but everybody's really hurt, too.

A screaming Elf with a mohawk charged them.
They're probably just playing dead until she leaves.

Here's where things were probably going to end badly, but then I remembered that these are experienced 'Punks with some StreetCred to burn, which I did, allowing me to cheat the system!  The Elf manages to survive the CEO's Assault, doing 2 Damage in the process, and the Ork drops the remaining Stormtroopers.  The Troll just missed, and didn't have any StreetCred anyway.

"Are you OK, Elf?"
"Yeah, don't worry.  Most of this blood isn't mine."

Now it's the Corporation's turn, and the Elf only has 1 StreetCred left (and 3 HP).  The CEO charges the Elf and...

...impales himself upon her, apparently.  A 1 vs 6 overrun, and the CEO is taken out!

Oh, look!  The Revenant decided to stop being dead
just in time to try to take credit for the success!

The crew gets a bunch of Gigabitcoins and Rep, and their new access to Pharma secrets gives everyone +2 max HP!

I was a little worried that the fight might be too tough, but it turned out just about right, I think.  And honestly, it was pretty fun!  I'm used to sneaking around and then running away.  Having to take the fight to the enemy was a nice change of pace.  I guess I've still got to test out the other CEO scenarios, but this is very promising.

 Ĝis la revido!

Jason "Ludanto" Smith C;E

10 comments:

  1. This sounds exactly as a Shadowrun mission. Loved the way it looks and flows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Another step closer to getting this thing done and published! :)

      Delete
  2. Excellent. I'm hacking Chrome Hammer right now to do a game based in 'modern' Hyboria. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These previews are awesome! I've been playing Chrome Hammer solo on TTS for the past two months, I can't wait to see what all the book has in store for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh! Well now I'm afraid of disappointing you! :(
      Also, cool! I've been building cyberpunk dudes on HeroForge and importing them into TTS. Haven't had a chance to play a game with TTS, though.

      Delete
    2. I get mine from Cyber-Forge on Patreon. Great selection of cyberpunk minis most months. And nothing I've seen is disappointing! I'm just thinking of all the things I can do to customize my punks, what solo enhancements may be in this, all good things I assure you :)

      Delete
    3. Thanks! I was actually backing Cyber-Forge for a while, but I didn't actually have a printer so I had to quit. :)

      Delete
    4. Hi - If a squad is fragged, are all the members eliminated or is the squad reduced by a member ?

      Thanks

      Delete
    5. Hi!
      A squad is its own unit, and when it is Fragged, everybody goes with it. It's essentially just one big, blobby thing. There is not, at the moment any mechanical difference between a squad of 2 and a squad of 5.

      Delete