"I never liked your cooking!" [STAB!]
As I explore weird little improv RPG-ish games, I discover (or perhaps confirm) that I'm NOT very good at it. But I feel like I would like it if I were better at it. And I might be able to get better at it. So I keep forcing my way through it.
I'm also scared of people, so I do these things alone and online in the safety of my blog. :)
The game, "Till the Last Gasp", is about two people with a history trying to impose their will upon one another by means of swordplay (or claws or lightning-whips or even guns, I suppose).
It's a game by Will Hindmarch, who still owes me a 10 years overdue "Project: Dark" Kickstarter.
The game comes with a handful of pre-generated characters which is a great help because I'm bad at assigning motivations to imaginary people.
We've got Sayyida, the Pirate Queen. She's a bold figure who laughs heartily in the face of joy and sorrow alike. On the surface, she's just dealing with a stowaway, but what she really cares about is maintaining the respect of her crew.
Discovered upon the ship is Archdirector Helenia, a smug devotee of the Galactic Consortium. She claims to be protecting the dignity of the Consortium from foes like Sayyida, but really it's about avenging Sayyida's past betrayal.
The fight takes place on the flying ship "The Anemoi's Revenge", which is divided into four areas: "The Captain's Quarters", "The Quarterdeck", "The Mizzen Mast", and "The Prow".
Not every fight has to be to the death. The fight can end with defeat, exile, a change in allegiance, or death ("Till the Last Gasp"). In this case, though, we're fighting till the last gasp.
Next, we both draw three Objective cards and choose one that we "like best". I don't know what I like best, or even what the four goals listed on each card mean, so I'm going with vibes based on the character and motivation of the combatants.
Sayyida takes "Dangerously Overconfident", which seems to focus on being in control of the situation, or at least making everyone think it's the case.
Helenia takes "Lashing Out", because she seems angry (and her illustration gives her some kind of lightning-whip). It seems to be about bold strikes, big movements, and breaking things.
The game starts below. The rules are in boring old black text. The "story" is in bold, bloody red...
💢
The Characters are Introduced
Helenia is brought before Sayyida by the pirate crew. She struggles against their grasp as Sayyida approaches.
"A stowaway?" Sayyida asks. "I'm afraid there's only one end for stowaways... the plank!" she says with practiced confidence. She draws her blade and levels it at Helenia.
Helenia suddenly stops struggling and stares daggers at Sayyida. "Still a better fate than you deserve. The Galactic Consortium sends its regards." With that, she throws off her captors, pulling her lightning-whip out of nowhere. With three quick lashes, all of the pirates are sprawled across the deck, dead or dying.
Questions
"Is this what you want, Helenia?" Sayyida inquires, revealing that she recognizes Helenia after all. "What is it that you truly want most right now?"
"I want your head, of course!" Helenia spits back. "Does that frighten you? Are you afraid? What do you fear right now?"
Sayyida doesn't answer. She only smirks and shakes her head. She does reveal that she fears losing her crew's respect. Even if she survives, will this fight reveal too much?
💢
The Duel: Round 1
We both secretly choose a stance card (Wary, Quick, or Bold). It turns out we both chose "Wary". This gives us a few options on our turns, like: Ready an Edge die, Compel your opponent to draw a Drama card, Change your stance, etc.
Because we chose "Wary", we get to pull ready dice from the "Defensive" side of the board, and roll them along with a d20 to generate action points. We both choose to roll 2 dice and end up with 5 Actions each. Helenia's d20 rolled higher, so she goes first.
(2) Helenia watches Sayyida's eyes, waiting for a move. (+1 ready die).
(2) Sayyida steps forward. (to Bold stance)
(2) Helenia whirls her whip menacingly. (to Bold stance)
(2) Sayyida (Both take Drama Cards) (This is 1/2 of a goal)
(Persuade to see the error of her ways)
"Helenia," Sayyida drawls, "This isn't who you are. Who you were. You don't need to be the GC's lapdog! You can be free, like us! Can you not see the error of your ways? Your dogged devotion is going to get you killed!"
(Accuse other of something you've done)
"Oh, so high and mighty!" Helenia barks. "You've sold yourself out for safety. You used to have morals! But where are they now?
"Are you asking me, or yourself?"
(1) Enraged, Helenia lashes out, her lightning-whip arcing over Sayyida's head to destroy the turbine behind her! The machinery explodes and the ship tilts for a moment before righting itself. (Destroy scenery) (This is 1/2 of a goal)
(1) Sayyida takes advantage of the distraction to take three great slashes at Helenia, who barely avoids them. Her blade takes out much of the rigging instead. (Destroy scenery)
💢
The Duel: Round 2
Sayyida is Bold, Helenia is Quick! Sayyida is unlucky and gets 5 Actions again, while Helenia gets 7! Sayyida goes first because her d20 was higher.
Staying focused on the goals...
(2) Sayyida (Both take Drama cards) (This completes one of her goals)
(Thank her for something she's done & gain a ready die)
As their weapons clash, Sayyida laughs, "Ha ha! I really do have to thank you for hounding me all these years. Your attentions have kept me sharp. More than once I've avoided falling prey to betrayals and assassinations from others since I was always ready for you."
(Admit a painful secret & become Rattled)
At this, something breaks in Helenia. As she rolls away, taking cover behind a barrel, she says "Don't thank me yet. I... I was the one who sent the redfire drone. It was meant for you, of course. I.. I did not intend for what happened to your brother. If this is the end, then I must tell you now, before you die."
"You..." Sayyida begins... and then lunges a series of attacks at Helenia.
Reckless and Defensive are two "Rattled" stances. I kind of want to use the more aggressive one, but the defensive one feels more right. The new stance changes Helenia's options.
(2) Helenia, distracted by her own confession falls back toward the ship's prow. (New location)
(3) "Coward!" Sayyida shouts, goading her foe. "Stop fleeing like a child and face me! Face me for what you've done!" (Rattle foe into Reckless stance) (This is 1/2 of her goal)
(2) Helenia takes the bait, but she does not raise her whip as expected, instead stepping inside Sayyida's guard, passing behind her. She turns, and as Sayyida turns to face her, she slaps the ever-loving sh*t out of her!
"I am many things, Sayyida. Some quite horrible. But I. am. no. coward."
For a moment, the two stand there. One glaring, the other temporarily speechless. (Strike your foe and they describe the damage.) (A barehanded strike is a goal. Seems a little too easy, though. There aren't any rules for "not using your weapon" so I'm assuming it's a narrative thing.)
(0) Sayyida is out of Actions.
Helenia has 3 Actions, but none of her stance action nor grabbing the wheel of the Prow's action seem worth it, so Helenia will use the variable cost "Destroy scenery" Action for all three points.
(3) With that, Helenia strikes out at a nearby smokestack, her whip wrapping around it and yanking it down to land between the two combatants. (Destroy scenery) (In a different location, this is the other half of her goal)
Dice are running low. Both go Wary. Helenia only gets 2 Actions. Sayyida gets 4 and goes first.
(1) While Helenia can't see her, Sayyida grabs the ships wheel and turns it hard. The ship lurches, and the smokestack rolls away, clearing the path between them. (Prow action Rattles both. Since they're both low on ready dice, they both choose Defensive)
(1) Helenia casually cracks her whip left and right upon the deck as she waits for Sayyida to approach.
(2) (Rattle your foe and draw a drama) (While Rattled, speak as if victory is assured, is 3rd goal)
(Tell about something terrible that could happen if you die today)
Sayyida does not approach. She simply cracks her neck and calls out. "It's just as well, you know. If somehow you were able to kill me, you'd only martyr me. I have quite the following among the pirate crowds. If anything were to finally bring down the Galactic Consortium, it would be my death. Honestly, it makes me somewhat reluctant to kill you. Though, of course, I can't have you killing me. That just wouldn't do."
(1) "I hear a lot of talk, but you're still waaaaay over there." (Helenia +1 ready die)
(1) "I though you could use a break. You look tired. More than normal, I mean." (Sayyida +1 ready die)
💢
The Duel: Round 3
Sayyida has enough goals to end this, but she has to complete round 4 first. Helenia is at a bit of a disadvantage, but she might be able to get her 3rd goal if she rolls well.
Sayyida goes Bold. Helenia, Wary. Yikes. Helenia rolled crap. 2 Actions again. Sayyida gets 5 and goes first.
(2) With a dramatic series of unnecessary twirls and flips, Sayyida advances upon Helenia. Her first few strikes are parried, but one gets through, slashing the sleeve of her sword arm and staining the white fabric under the leather jacket bright red. (Strike your foe, they describe the injury. Injuries don't have any rules. It's not that kind of game, oddly enough.)
(2) Shocked, Helenia staggers backward, attempting to regain her balance. (+1 ready die)
(2) Pressing her advantage, Sayyida stabs again, grazing Helenia's cheek! (Strike foe, they describe injury)
(0) Helenia is out of Actions
(1) Sayyida follows up by kicking Helenia in the chest, sending her crashing into a pile of crates, destroying the crystal artifacts inside. (Destroy scenery)
💢
The Duel: Round 4
Helenia has a plan, so chooses Quick and gets 6 Actions. Sayyida is low on dice, so she choses Wary and gains only 3 Actions but still manages to go first.
(1) As they trade blows around the prow, Sayyida grabs the wheel and yanks on it again, tilting the ship hard and knocking them both off balance. (Prow action Rattles both combatants)
"You already pulled that trick you unoriginal, repeating piece of crap!" Helenia snarls.
(Sayyida chooses Defensive. Helenia losing her stance throws Helenia's plan out the window. She chooses Defensive to try to make up for it.)
(2) Helenia withdraws, ninja-running up the rigging to the mizzen mast with Sayyida close behind. Some of the surviving crewmen gather on the quarterdeck far, far below. (Move to new location) (1/3 of a goal)
(1) Sayyida stops, balanced on a swaying yardarm as Helenia turns to face her. (+1 Ready die)
(1) Helenia laughs (a bit out of breath), "Ha ha! Do you need a rest now? I know that betrayal can take a lot out of you!" (+1 Ready die) (Another 1/3 of her goal)
(1) "Just giving you enough rope to hang yourself", Sayyida replies. (+1 Ready die)
(1) "You should have just given up. I could have forgiven your lies if you had just owned up to your betrayal." (+1 Ready die) (The final part of her goal)
(0) (Sayyida has no more Actions) "I didn't betray you! I fought against the Galactic Consortium! YOU chose your side and then made ME the villain so you could sleep at night!"
(1) "Enough! This ends now!" Helenia shouts with a crack of her whip.
"Not if I end it first!"
(1) "Bring it!" (+1 Ready die)
Sayyida lunges!
💢
The Duel: Round 5
Both sides have completed their three goals and we've passed Round 4. With her base die plus 3 ready dice, Helenia is guaranteed to have enough Actions to end this. Sayyida is less certain. If they both have at least 4 Actions, it will come down to the initiative.
They both choose Bold stance, because why not? Sayyida rolls crap! 3 Actions! Helenia rolls very well, getting 7 Actions and the initiative.
Sayyida considers lowering the Stakes. She's probably going to lose, and may she can join the Galactic Consortium, or go into exile. It's free! But thinking about it, that's not something she would do, not in front of her remaining crew.
(2) Helenia's crackling whip strikes out, lashing Sayyida across the face, staggering her. (Injure opponent)
(2) "Don't toy with me, you fascist!" (Both draw drama cards.) (Sayyida is kind of hoping for a miracle here.)
(Boast of your prowess & gain a ready die, not that it will help)
"I've killed thousands of pigs better armed and more skilled than you!"
(Warn of something they will live to regret)
"Then you should have killed me sooner", Helenia replies, "because now you've led me to your crew and they WILL suffer for your crimes! If you somehow live through this, you, and they, will wish you hadn't!"
(4) Helenia's whip snakes out again, lightning fast with rolling roar like thunder. It wraps around Sayyida's throat and Helenia tugs hard upon it, sending Sayyida over the edge as she wraps the free end around a broken railing. Sayyida comes to a stop with a sickening snap and hangs there. (End things decisively.)
"A traitor's death. How appropriate."
💢
And that's "Till the Last Gasp". I don't know how I feel about it. It's awfully conflict-y, and that's not how I roll. It seemed to do what it set out to do though. I ended up with a little story about a sword fight between two idealistic people with deep emotional needs to win this fight.
I probably could have done better, or maybe I couldn't. Who knows?
Also, "Till"? I assume they mean "Until the Last Gasp". Arguably " 'Til the Last Gasp". I don't feel like "Till" means what they think it means.
Anyway, I'm going to check the "Project: Dark" Kickstarter and complain again.
TILL next time,
Gxis la revido!
C:E


No comments:
Post a Comment